Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Loving Angela Scanlon

Note from Lauren:  While the content and images from this post are from Refinery29.com, I had the opportunity to meet Angela while working for VIP Magazine in Dublin.  She really is as amazing as this interview suggests.

You split your time between Dublin and London. What do you love about each city?
"I love London's energy and Dublin's sense of humour. I'm still finding new places in London all the time, but Dublin is like the old familiar friend. It's impossible not to bump into friends, and that element of surprise and spontaneity is awesome. In London I need to plan, but there's always something new to discover." 

Angela hits up Leather Lane Market in her go-to gingham dress from ASOS, Office heels, Pauric Sweeney bag, and custom Coach sunglasses. Clothes courtesy of@angelascanlon and MatchesFashion.com.
Open every weekday from 10am to 2pm, Clerkenwell's Leather Lane Market is a people-watcher's paradise, not to mention a prime spot for fresh baked goods, gorgeous blooms, savoury snacks, and local produce.

Leather Lane Market, between High Holborn and Clerkenwell Road

How does Irish style differ from English style?
"I like the undone-ness, scruffiness, and slight eccentricity of English style. It feels like my sartorial home. Irish style is a bit more 'done,' but we definitely approach style with a sense of humour. We don't take it too seriously. The new crop of Irish designers, in particular Simone Rocha and JW Anderson, are redefining how Irish style is viewed globally. It's not all Aran jumpers!" 

Totally obsessed with these watermelon heels from Office.

Any Irish designers or shops we should know about?
"Simone Rocha, JW Anderson, Natalie B Coleman, Joanne Hynes, Helen Steele, Tim Ryan, Edmund McNulty...I could go on. There's so much talent in Ireland coming out. It's a very exciting time for the industry."


In London, where do you do most of your shopping?
"Liberty for the flowers, jewellery, and vintage edit; Dover Street Market for independent labels and chocolate brownies in their cafe. Topshop for fun, The House of Hackney for interiors and awesome prints, East End Thrift Store for vintage, and Folkster.com, which I shop from wherever I am."


We love a gal who knows how to mix and match her jewellery.


What five fashion items can you not live without?
"Gap white shirt, J Brand or Paige boyfriend jeans, Acne Pistol boots, my Balenciaga leather jacket, and a Louis Vuitton Keepall."


Meet The Farm, Angela's local favourite for a coffee and a spot of lunch. Everything here is ethically sourced, and ridiculously yummy. Our pick: the smoked salmon salad. 

The Farm Collective, 91 Cowcross Street, EC1M 6BH, 020 7253 2142


Angela settles down for a snack in a Balenciaga top, Sea New York leather skirt, Saint Laurent studded bag, Miu Miu sunglasses, and silver platforms fromFolkster.com.


Take note, locavores.


How would you describe your personal style?
"It's a bit schizophrenic. Casual, mismatched, always with something inappropriate thrown in. Overall, the kind of stuff your boyfriend would hate. But, when I’m feeling slightly more sensible, I love tailoring and strong lines mixed with statement accessories. Think Phillip Lim with some Tom Binns thrown in for extra measure. I also do hobo-chic exceptionally well on a Sunday morning."


You mentioned that you are basically allergic to the sun. What does this mean for your beauty routine?
"I tend to go into hiding when the sun comes out. I sometimes feel like a bat. I wear 50-plus sun block, and hats are my friend! It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but I'm hopeful that my 50-year-old self will be thankful."


Walk this way: Angela's show-stopping heels from Folkster.


What are your go-to beauty brands?
"Crème de la Mer if I've been travelling or out a lot, La Roche-Posay 'Cicaplaste Baume' for everything, Carmex for my lips, Bobbi Brown foundation, Smashbox primer with SPF, and Eyeko mascara!"


Whether she's got a big meeting or has visitors in town, our Irish gal can't resist the four-star charms of The Rookery. Though modest in size, the elegant surroundings and charming little garden are destined to impress.

The Rookey Hotel, Peter's Lane, Cowcross Street, EC1M 6DS, 020 7336 0931


What are you obsessed with this summer?
"Underwear. I've been spending a fortune on it!"


Angela checks in wearing a Sandro blouse, J Brand jeans, Valentino tote, and Joanne Stoker heels.


Found: The perfect secluded spot for a bit of bubbly and some sun.


What would people be surprised to find in your wardrobe?
"Feathers! Lots of them. I have an obsession with tactile things. My apartment is filled with sheepskin rugs."


Who are your favourite designers of the moment?
"They don't tend to change that often: Christopher Kane, Erdem, Dries Van Noten, Ann Demeulemeester, Meadham Kirchhoff, Balenciaga, Céline, and Jil Sander."

Bright young thing: Angela hits the street in a Gianni jumper, Erdem skirt, Joanne Stoker heels.


For artistic inspiration, Angela stocks up on art and fashion tomes at Magma Books, home to a true treasure trove of cool gifts, rare periodicals, and more.

Magma Books, 117-119 Clerkenwell Road, EC1R 5BY, 020 7242 9503


How do you maintain your lovely red locks?
"Bumble & bumble shampoo and conditioner followed by Surf Spray, texturizing powder, and rough upside-down drying! My mate Maurice Flynn cuts my mane."


Any style tips for redheads?
"You can wear red. And pink. And orange. And yellow! I just finished a documentary called Oi Ginger, and it's made me feel like a cheerleader for redheads! If you've got any major issues, hit me up@angelascanlon."


Famous artists get the tee treatment.


Where do you see yourself in five years?
"I don't have a master plan. If you told me five years ago I'd be doing what I'm doing now, I'd have been pretty content. More of that! Sometimes, being too focused on a goal means you miss opportunities along the way."


What's the one thing you would never, ever wear?
"White leggings. Actually any leggings outside of the gym."

No comments:

Post a Comment